Hello everyone,
Facebook is really hard to get onto in Soroti and email at times doesnt let me send messages so this is the best way for me to give everyone updates on my trip. The place we are staying at in Soroti is great, the people are amazing and all have crazy stories. We went and visited both of the orphanages yesterday for the first time. I held the most beautiful baby boy in the world for about an hour and had my first melt down, I cried for the first time since arriving. On the wall were pictures of all of the babies that had been at the orphanage in the past, and the stars represented those who had passed away. Most of the pictures had stars which made me really sad. They all have smiles that light up their faces, and even though most are sick with AIDs they all are incredibly happy babies. The orphanage with the older kids needs lots of work. We plan on painting some of the walls and decorating them with a rainbow of our handprints with the kids handpints inside of ours. We also are hoping to buy materials and build some soccer nets for the community and for the orphanage.
Yesterday we also filled some pot holes in some of the local roads in hopes to make it a smoother ride for the few cars that are here, but mostly for all of the bikers. It was a long job in the heat but we sang songs and had a really good time. Wherever we go crowds gather around us. We feel like celebrities here it is really exciting.
Today we went to a local church. Walking in was very intimidating but eventually they called our team up and introduced us. We each said our names and where we were from and everyone was so excited to have us as their visitors. Church here is all about singing and dancing and it was a blast. One little boy came up to me out of nowhere and sat down beside me. I looked down and saw his little hand wrapped around my thumb, it was amazing!
Tomorrow we are planning on going to help paint the new library that has just been built, so that should be exciting!
Rice and beans is delicious!
Mom! I wont be able to call today, but I hope you had an amazing Mother's Day. I love you and wish that you were here with me. You are the best mama in the world and I hope you and Nana are having a great Mother's day together and that my sisters are spoiling you!
Love you, love you love you!
Miss you all! xoxoxo
Tory
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Tori,
ReplyDeleteThank-you so so much for sharing your experience with us all. Laura and I were reading your blog this morning and both got all teary eyed... You make sure and get contacts for me, this is where I think God would like me to go... You are truly seeing life thru the eyes of the children, you will not be the same woman who left Calgary when you return... I pray for you every day that God is able to use that beautiful shining smile of your to not only help you but to bring joy to every peron you meet...
Love you T
Hi my love,
ReplyDeleteToday is Tuesday and you are on my mind. I'm sure you've had many more experiences since Sunday. I know the children are just going to love you to pieces. You won't have enough fingers for them to hold on to.
We look forward to your entries whenever you get the chance to write. In the meantime, love every minute and know that you are loved by everyone back here.
Keep smiling beautiful.
Mama xoxo