Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Update!!!

Hello, hello, hello!
The power has been out here for the past couple days and has recently came back on, so fingers crossed that it will stay on long enough for me to update you all on the past few days. It has been raining here about every evening, and the Ugandan people say its becuase Uganda loves us and is blessing us with rain!
I find that the culture in Africa is very simple. It couldnt be more different then ours at home. In Canada we are all on a time limit and feel the pressures of deadlines constantly, but here as long as everyone is happy and being fed, there are no stresses. We are having a hard time adjusting to this just becuase since we have come such a far distance to help, sitting around and not accomplishing the jobs that we want to seems like a waste of time. The painting of the library hasnt happened yet. We waited on Monday for the owner of the orphanage to come get us and take us to the library to paint, and were frustrated when he did not show up til around 12. We later found out that his reasons were becuase he had been dealing with a little boy who had recenetly been taking back to his family after spending a year at the orphanage. He had been beaten by his aunt after being accused of stealing and made his way back to the orphanage in the middle of the night (clearly the only place he has ever felt safe). We all went with him to the police station and wrote a police report, but after could do nothing else but drop him off at another family members house. Leaving him made me feel sick to my stomach and I felt selfish and disappointed in myself for being angry about not being able to paint the library when really their are bigger and more important things going on here then just us.
We visited the orphanage again and I spend half my time washing windows and folding laundry and the other half holding the greatest little boy named Issac. Before I heard his story I would have guessed that he was about 6 months old. He is weak, so tiny and cant hold the own weight of us head. I asked one of the nurses about him and she told me that he had spend about the a year at the orphange after being abandoned by his parents. At this time he was so sick and so malnutritioned that they didnt know if he would survive. He ended up being saved and being nursed back to health and then was returned back to his family once he was healthy. About three days ago he was dropped off and abandoned at the orphange once again, this time even more sick than he was the first time. He is almost two years old! Two years old, and isnt strong enough to hold his own heads weight. I held him for three hours, and just kissed his head and hoped that in that short time that I could spend with him that he would feel more love than he ever has before.
Yesterday our team split up. I was one of five who went back to Harmony school and began creating a soccer team for the children there. The high grass and push that covered their filed was taller than me, and we were given machettes to start chopping away. In three hours, 5 of us were able to get about a quarter of the field done, and that is only becuase a few of the local boys who live in the poorest part of Soroti couldnt get over how terrible we were at using the knives. They just stood back and laughed at us, and eventually began helping us. At the end thier was about 15 babies, toddlers, parents and teens who had gathered around, some to laugh at us, and some to help with the job. The sense of community here blows my mind.
We began tackling the job of building soccer nets, but due to the lack of resources here can only make them out of strips of fabric knotted together. One net took us about three hours and we hope to get about eight made while we are here.
Another job that we are going to start soon is a building some benches for the local prison. It is hard to shop for materials here because everyone knows that we have money. They try to up the prices becuase they know we can afford it, so we are all getting very good at bargoning.
It is about 35 degrees here today and probably the hottest heat I have ever experiances. The colours here are amazing and everything is so lush and beautiful. I have taken some amazing pictures and cant wait to show you all!
Every day at 5 we go to the local soccer fields and play with the kids their. We introduced them to football which they think is the most halarious sport ever. They also love frisbee!
We are just about to go back to machette and hopefully begin painting!
Love you all!!!
xoxox
Tory

4 comments:

  1. Morning Bunny,
    It is 7:40 am Wed. I love waking up to an update from you. It took me a while to get through this one because of the tears.
    You have taken a lot in over the past few days - exhilerating,devastating and exhausting. I wish we could send over some supplies for you. Grampy's tractor would be handy by the sounds of it.
    We are sending our love and prayers to you , your team and all the children that you are caring for and loving . You are making a difference!

    Love you always.
    Mama and Dad xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Tory,
    I can't wait every morning to see if you have shared some of your experiences with us.. Thank-you so much for taking the time to share a tiny bit of what you are going through. I can't even imagine what you are feeling when you look into someones eyes who is not wanted or loved... Very Very sad... You and the children there are in my prayers daily. Don't work to hard and fade away on us!!!!! Love ya T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Best Friend!!
    Its me! Not mick, I just had to use his google account to be able to post a comment. Anyways...
    Sorry I haven't commented sooner! Your stories are great to read. Your doing something so amazing and brave and I am so proud of you! I can't imagine how hard it is to see those little guys that have so many hard issues, but it sounds like your being very strong and giving them so much love! Your the most caring and supportive person I know, so I know your giving all of that to those kids that need it so badly. I wish I was there with you! I miss you so much, but time is flying by, and I can't wait to have you back and get to hear even more of your stories, and see all of the amazing pictures I just know your taking. Please tell me a photo-op has happened with the little ones and you in a cute safari hat and khaki???? lol. I'll be waiting for more updates and stories about your adventures!
    Love you so much! xoxo
    Kels

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an absolutely AMAZING experience so far Tory and I'm sure it will only be more mindblowing in the coming days. It's so great to know you're making a difference in such an impoverished place! I look forward to seeing the pictures! Hope you continue to have a great time and do wonderful things for the children in Uganda! I shall be following your blog closely in the coming days!


    With love from your cousin Spencer

    ReplyDelete