Thursday, May 27, 2010

Last Update!

Hi everyone,
This is probably going to be my last update since tomorrow morning we are leaving for Jinja and leave Saturday for our safari which I cannot even wait for. I don't think I will be able to get onto a computer until I get home, but for everyone who has been following my trip ill write one more entry when I get home to tell you all about the safari, bungee jumping and white water rafting down the Nile.
The past couple days have been busy ones. I have been teaching at a preschool here called Harmony. It is a different school than the one that we cleared the soccer field for, but still ran and supported by YWAM which is the base we have been staying at for the past month. There are three classes there, and this morning I had the older kids, who really are only 4 and 5. To be quite honest, I questioned my teaching abilities, these kids were little devils. There was a huge language barrier and they have a hard time respecting anyone with white skin. All I could do was laugh and try my best to keep them under control. I felt like I was stuck in an animal cage, and I never want to sing the hokie pokie ever again. It was actually a really fun experience, even though I had zero classroom management, it was still fun to pretend to be the teacher for the day. All of the teachers were at this huge Christian celebrated called Jubilee so we were all the only ones teaching at the school. They are devils until they hold onto your leg and beg you not to leave. One three year old started crying and begging me to stay, it was really cute.

Yesterday a few of us went into town for the rest of the afternoon. A few of us have decided to put together some money to buy school supplies for a few of the families who are struggling. With some of the money that my friends and family raised for me back home, I was able to buy some notebooks and pencils for the kids, and a few supplies for the teachers.
I find here that begging is not something that you see on a regular basis hear because there is basely a tourist industry. We have been talking a lot as a team though about how to deal with the children whose only English word is money, and how to handle little ones pulling on your skirt begging for food. It breaks my heard every time I have to say no, but really giving money or food is only a band aid solution and not helping anyone of the problem in the long run. Yesterday a older lady approached me. She looked like she had suffered from leprosy and was missing fingers and toes. She was blind and walking with a terrible limp and a homemade crutch. How do you say no to someone like that. I wanted to give her everything that I had, but I knew that if I did I would have 100 other people expecting the same. I wasn't able to help her which made me feel sad, but I just told myself that by being here is helping far more than giving someone a small amount of money.
We had a pig roast last night which was insane. The pig was rotating on a stick and was definitely something I had never seen before. It was delicious though and a really nice farewell feast for us.
The airline we are taking home is now on strike, so getting home may be an issue but we are working on it. See you all soon!!!
Love you! xoxo
Tor

2 comments:

  1. Tory,

    Derek and I were just discussing how this trip will have changed how you see things in life...Maybe your next degree will be in Journalism!! I can't express how blessed we feel that you have taken the time in your chaotic day full of all that emotion to share with us . Thank-you Thank-you!! You are truly an amazing woman with an unbelievable amount of strength. Can't wait to see your pictures and hear all of your stories....

    Love ya and enjoy your fun time you deserve it... (ps be very safe...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lovey,
    Keep thinking of you as you head off on your adventure. We are so excited for you! Have an awesome time and we will be at the airport with bells on!
    Try and sleep on the London - Calgary leg of your flight (li'l blue). Are you working the next couple of days after you get home? I hope not.
    Have a blast!
    We love you to pieces.
    Mama and Daddy xoxox

    ReplyDelete