Hi friends!
So all the worry about people knowing that we were giving out things was for nothing. If anything when we walk the streets now they just bow to us and thank us for coming to help. Our team came with a budget to spend a certain amount of money to complete some projects of our choice while being here. Since clean water here is such an issue, we decided as a team to put some of our money towards buying these huge water containers (the ones that you see the ladies carrying on their heads). For the people here these cans are very expensive, but for us really they are worth peanuts. We were able to put our money together and buy 50 of these containers that will be going to several widows around town and their children to make it easier for them to have clean water from the wells. Today we went and picked up the last of these containers, and we have set up a table of the rest of the pink triple flip clothing for these single mothers to come sort through and bring back to their kids. I am really excited to be there while these ladies come, I think it will be an eye opening experience to have them, and I know that they will be incredibly thankful.
Yesterday a few of us went to the local well and tried to help pump some water for all of the children and elders who line up for hours to get clean water. We counted a line up of 52 water containers waiting to be filled and hundreds of people gathered around waiting for their turn. We tried to help but in the end they didn't want our help. The people here have this amazing sense of pride and at times almost get offended when we offer to help. That is one of things that has surprised me the most. I figured we would come and we would have people and families begging for our help, and for some that is the case, but for others their faith and pride is all they have. I tried pumping the water and all of the kids gathered around and just laughed at me and how slow I was compared to them. It was pretty funny, their little giggles are amazing.
We went back to work with the compassion kids on Friday and it was just as amazing. I had a group of about 30 who followed me around and fought for one of ten fingers to hold on to. I sat down with them and they gathered around me, pushing to be as close as possible. We played the repeat after me game. I would clap three times and they would repeat. We practiced our counting and I taught them a few more camp songs. It really made me want to come back and teach these kids. The children who do have the opportunity to go to school here are so grateful and work so hard. Ains you are going to have a wicked time teaching in Tanzania I wish I was going to be there with you.
Today we are going to hike the Soroti Rock which is the biggest tourist place here. Apparently up top the huge rock is a military base and you are not allowed taking pictures but I will see what I can do.
A man named Dominac has come from Kenya to stay with us for a few days. He is 23 now and a former LRA (Lord Resistance Army) child soldier. He is going to talk to us about his experiances and life story tonight which I am really excited for. I have heard bits and pieces about it so far and it is absolutely devastating. He is a journalist and has written some books about being a child solider as well.
Our safari and final activities are all planned. Mom I know you might freak but I am bungee jumping in Africa but it is going to be amazing! We are also going white water rafting down the Nile which is going to be amazing!
My month here has flown by but I am also really excited to come home. It is crazy how much you miss your family and the people who love and support you when you are seeing the sad things that will stay with me forever!
Oh yeah one more thing, we went to the orphanage last night for a sing along night with the kids. They all sang and played drums and it was amazing. We just danced with them and had an amazing time. Paully, the little girls with AIDS and stomach cancer was having an amazing night. She was up and dancing and I saw her smile for the first time. She pointed to my pink toes and asked if she could have some so I am going to go search for some nail polish so I can paint hers.
Love, love!
See you soon
xoxo
Tory
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Daddy is sitting right here and wants to tell you that your stories are very touching and he wishes he were there to share them with you. You went with a kind heart. Your experiences sound amazing. I am so proud of you and I love you so much. Enjoy your safari and double check the quality of your bungi cord!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your last 12 days - the time is passing so quickly! Can't wait to see you.
Love mom and Dad xoxo
Hi Tor,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say hello and let you know I'm still reading your updates as often as you post them and they're as touching as ever. You sound like your having the most amazing experience and I'm so happy for you! But I'm excited for you to get home so I have a golfing partner! Miss you tons and am counting down the days! Oh and have so much fun bungee jumping! I'm so jealous, that will be so fun! Take pictures :)!
Love you best friend!
xoxo
Kels
Tor!
ReplyDeleteI just read through all of your blog posts and I am so happy for you and the things you are doing! All the best for your final days in Africa! You are so incredibly lucky to be able to use your talents to bless the lives around you. I'll be praying for your strength as you are preparing to come home. Miss you lots!!
love love,
Kim