This might be a quick update because I do not have a lot of time on this computer but I will do my best!
Hi everyone, I am still have an amazing time and loving every day. We went and hiked Soroti rock the other day and had a blast. The path up was made of jagged rocks and a really weak railing so we felt pretty safe! Like most things we do here we had an army of little African children following us up the rock. At the top we were able to see all of Soroti, and even more of the poverty that is in it. I saw a village of mud huts that were using garbage as a roof and old tires to hold the garbage on, it was terrible. There is another big story about the rock, but I will save that one for you for when I get home!
Last night was devastating for me. I was asked to go to the hospital with two other people off my team to hand out bread to some of the patients and their parents. The hospital cannot afford to feed their patience, so unless family and friends bring food, the sick and dying people in the hospital starve. We first went to the pediatrics ward. I cannot even put into words the condition of the entire hospital other than every single emotion went through me when I saw it. Disgust, anger, sadness, are just a few. Stray dogs lay outside every door and flies cover the faces of all the little ones sick from malaria, AIDs, TB, and other awful diseases. There were three children to a bed, and parents sleeping on the cement floors beside them. I went through three different wards and saw maybe 5 nurses the entire time. We went with a staff member from the base and he prayed for all of them and read from the bible and then we helped hand out bread. When others around the hospital heard we had bread they came and filled the room. An old lady was pulling on my skirt begging for one piece of bread. The entire time I was fighting back tears. To see these children dying in the most terrible conditions ever made me sick to my stomach. I couldnt help but think that people back home are angry if their hospital room's TV doesn't work. That wasn't even the worst ward either. Next we went down the heart problems, AIDS, and TB ward. For some reason, seeing a malnourished adult made me even more sad than seeing the children. Especially when they are lying alone, with no family or support meaning no food. I am pretty sure I was watching some men take their last breaths which was just awful and something I hope I never have to see again.
We walked down the maternity ward as well and saw a few brand new babies, but the smell of that building was unbearable and we had to leave before we were going to be sick. The entire hospital is overcrowded, dark, dirty, and even worse than what you are picturing right now. I tried to take pictures to bring home just to show everyone how awful the conditions were, but the pictures cant even do it justice. I am really glad that I was able to go and see for myself how bad it really was, but it was once of those experiences that will stay with me forever. On a brighter note the families were incredibly grateful for the bread that we bought for them which made me feel better about the entire thing.
Today I went to a pre-school and elementary school and helped with the little ones. Yesterday I visited the high school and taught a quick lesson on Canada and what being a student back home is like. The class yesterday had 50 students and more than half were missing. I asked how many of them wanted to go to university and all of their hands shot in the air, I thought that was amazing. The little ones this morning were a handful but they were so much fun and had the cutest little uniforms.
I only have 3 more sleeps in Soroti and then we are heading back to Jinja on Friday morning. We are bungee jumping and white water rafting at a place called Adrift. You can look at their website it looks like its going to be amazing. We are spending a few nights there after our safari!
DAD! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DADDY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! I bought a phone card the other day so I will try and call tomorrow night, so it will be in the morning on your birthday. If you are not at home ill leave a message but try and be home!!!
Love you all! And see you soon!
xoxox
Tory
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Tory,
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing adventure and I can't wait to see and hear every detail of your trip. I love reading your Mom's blogs after you've shared, she abviously loves you so much and like a Mom is also very worried. It must be very much like that for the parents of the sick children they must have amazing faith... Have an awesome time bunji jumping and be safe....
Love T
Wow Tory, I needed a kleenex box again.That must have been the most gutt-wrenching experience ever. I can't even imagine what it must have been like. As you say, we see these things on TV but it doesn't begin to show the true devastation, isolation and hopelessness. I wish I was there to give you a hug and support you during these extremely emotional and excrutiatingly sad situations.
ReplyDeleteTory, I would love to go to Uganda or elsewhere in Africa with you someday in the future to experience some of the life-altering experiences you have witnessed during your stay.
This is a busy week with Dad's birthday and Leighton's grad. We will miss having you here.
Have an awesome time on your safari and bungee jumping (YIKES!)
Can't wait to see you and give you squeeze.
Love you Bunny.
Mama xoxoxo
Hi again,
ReplyDeleteTory, find out if there is a local (or international) charitable organization, maybe even Global Youth Network, where the donations go directly to the people in Soroti. If there are a few little ones or families that truly touched your heart and spirit, we could start helping them in some way- glasses, medication, school supplies, food - whatever. I know it will be difficult to choose. Is there a teacher in one of the schools or a doctor in the hospital or even one of the leaders of the orphanage that could be our contact?
Did anyone get the names of the doctor and dentist from the UK? Maybe Dad could help them out in some way.
Tory, we want to help so find out whatever you can.
love you.
Mama xoxo
Tory
ReplyDeleteI have been following every post you've made and can't believe how much impact your having on all those peoples lives including everyone here with your stories, it sounds like your having the expierience of a lifetime. You have inspired me with your stories to one day go and do what your doing. I'm so excited to hear your stories when you get back. I miss you a ton bear I can't wait to see you stay safe and my prayers and thoughts are with you.
Love Derek xoxo